Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Nov 1999 03:45:13 -0600
From:         Marshall Ruskin <mruskin@PANGEA.CA>
Subject:      Rememberance Day In Canada (No Vanagon Content)

Hi Volks:

Today is the eleventh day, of the eleventh month.

At exactly 11:11 AM today, Canadians pause for two minutes to remember all those who sacrificed their lives, doing their duty for Canada, in foreign wars.

Everybody wears ornamental poppies in their lapels, made by retired veterans, to remind us of the poppies that lie in "Flanders Field", the resting place in Europe for thousands of Canadians who served in the First World War.

Most businesses, and all Gov't offices in Canada are closed for this day.

Where I work, it is especially solemn this year, because we lost two of our mates, soldiers that were serving as Peacekeepers in Bosnia.

The banners, at all the official functions, reads "Lest We Forget".

So, if you have read this far, please take another step forward, and silently remember those that have done their bit, so that we, no matter where we live, can live in freedom.

Marshall Ruskin 84 Westy "Iron Igloo" Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada Founding Member of "Vanagon's Anonymous"