Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Nov 1999 05:49:21 -0800
From:         "T.P. Stephens" <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      DM: Dead Dynos IV, Conclusion

For Part I see "DM: Dead Dynosaurs in the form of carbon" For Part II see "DM: Dead Dynos II" For Part III see "DM: Dead Dynos III"

So, I spent the rest of the day scraping and chipping the offensive residues of ancient animule meat all outta there, buttoned it all up, took a test ride, and had full throttle motoring once again with no problems. And no more foam due to the Valvoline 20/50 racing oil now in the sump.

At about 45k, during regular inspection, it was evident that the valve guides were worn beyond spec so I pulled the heads for replacement. With the multi-weight low vis low carbon base oil in play for the next 20k I had very little buildup to address. Empirative evidence suggesting a proven theory of more carbon in higher weight strait grade Dead Dynosaur elixers.

When I sold das maschine at 65k, the pinging problem had not returned despite the much reduced quality of the Brontosaurous Pee in the form of no lead low octane gas available at that time, without reducing compression ratio, without octane addatives, without any compromise of the original design. I had new spec compression, not enough carbon to stifle a yawn, and due to no compromise inspection procedures, the insides of the motor were as clean as the day it was assembled at the factory. No varnish AT ALL ANYWHERE. Can you say "RESULTS"????

(THE END, not to be continued, that's all she wrote)

>>The carbon deposit buildup that one seems are more likely gummy tars from >>longer molecules created in the combustion process. That's why stuff like >>Marvel Mystery oil is popular...it's a solvent that removes that crap >>(or at >>least claims to). >> >>Karl and Kristina Bloss, Trexlertown, PA

The tar and varnish residues are a mixture of carbon and tenacious volatiles. When the volatiles are all evaporated, only carbon remains. Once all the volatiles are gone, nothing but the most agressive acids can do a thing about it. Solvents can only penetrate effectively the tars which still have volitiles present for the solvent to penetrate.

I've tried every possable solvent I could identify to make carbon removal an easier task than hand/tool removal. Most of them claim to dissolve carbon. My experiance proves to me this is a facade. I'll be chipping the carbon out of a Mercedes 300D in the next week or two. It comes from the heavier carbon load of the higher carbon content in the diesel fuel, as compared with the lighter carbon content of the Panther Pee now being sold as gasoline.

Then there is always the Harley riders trick for removing the recurring short range carbon build up from using 60 weight oil. Rev the motor under no load to 2500 rpm whilst using an atomizer to spray water in the intake. The water turns to steam in the combustion process and blasts the carbon to be blown out the valves. Would it be prudent for me to try this on my clients $5000 replacement cost motor???? Would I try this tech on any of my DM maschines? Answer-I can't find this procedure in the factory manuals, ergo, no, I will not.

Doktor Tim Maintenance Repair and Restoration of European Vehicles San Juan Island, WA