Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Nov 1999 20:52:13 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Different view on the15" wheel subject

Not that I want to fan the 15" wheel flames here but there are a few things to consider when it comes to wheel loading and if a Audi / Passat wheel can take the weight of a Vanagon or not. So, not that I am pro or against the Audi / Passat wheel, but here are some bonifide questions to ask about 15" 5x112mm wheels in general.

- Are the 15" Audi / Passat wheels the same part number as the Audi A6 wagon or the A8? If so, what is the GVWR of these cars? Is it the same as a Vanagon?

- Most things are over engineered - it is the ultimate CYA. When I was at school to learn electronics we were always told to get a resistor or a capacitor that can handle at least 20% more than you will ever throw at it. I would suspect the same is true for wheels if not more so... as it has been pointed out on previous posts "would you trust your life with it?" - you may, but Volkswagen sure isn't - read "law suit"! This is why I think the wheels are over engineered so there is NO chance of them deforming on the car they were intended for (let go air born, hit a curb, massive pot hole etc). You may be getting closer to the "real" tolorances with the Vanagon - is it a safe thing to do - perhaps, perhaps not.

Now on to my *guess* (usual friendly disclaimers apply here) to weather a Audi wheel would be safe for a Vanagon:

Weights of my vechicles (measured at local truck scales) 1988 Syncro Double Cab GVWR = 2500kg 1987 Audi 5000S Quattro GVWR = 1960kg

Each wheel at rest on the Vanagon would support 625kg Each wheel at rest on the Audi would support 490kg

625 / 490 = 1.275

So, if you had my Audi 5000 Quattro wheels on a fully loaded Vanagon you would be over by 27.5% - Is this good? Well you be the judge of that one. It is also interesting to not the maximum axle weights:

Vanagon 1300kg = 650 each wheel Audi 1040kg = 525 each wheel

650 / 525 = 1.238 or 23.8% greater load if installed on a Vanagon.

Personally, I would tend to think twice about putting the wheels from my Audi on to my Vanagon unless I found out that they are the same wheels for a heavier A6 or A8. According to one web site the Audi A6 Avant (wagon) has a curb weight (empty) of 1650kg, my Double Cab weights 1800kg. If they are the same wheels on all Audis then I would have to say that they could be compatible with each other seeing that the curb weights are within 150kg of each other.

Just my $0.02 Canadian worth!

-- David Marshall - - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- -- 78 VW Rabbit, 80 VW Caddy, 84 VW Westie, 85 VW Cabriolet -- -- 87 Audi 5000 Quattro, 88 2.0L VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- -- david@volkswagen.org (pmail) or vanagon@volkswagen.org (list) --