Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Nov 1999 12:07:28 -0800
From:         Stuart <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM>
Subject:      Re: Interstates, Trucks, Safety, the Environment,
              Sex in Rest Stops,etc.
Comments: To: Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>

Why not? Many of us like to stand on the soapbox. I, for one, have a bit of a transportation background having sold engineering and intelligent traffic software to state DOT's for six years, though I have been out of that business for five years now.

I have attended trucking safety conferences, been invited to professional meetings, trade shows, etc. in the past, and I do have some perspectives. Just follow the money, and you will find that the truck/trucking/oil companies are the source.

The Interstate Highway System was indeed justified by Eisenhower in the 1950's as a military necessity after our inability to move war materiel across the country efficiently during WWII. We were still in a cold war with Russia, remember. The oil lobby soon made it cheaper to move freight by truck than by train by not paying the true costs of using the highways through government subsidies, both direct and indirect.

Now we have lots of trucks and very poor railroads.

Today the big threat to our safety on the highways is NAFTA and all the unregulated, uninspected Mexican trucks and truckers who want to carry freight into the US and Canada. So far the trucking lobby has kept them out, so their self interest also benefits our safety in this case. Not to mention Laredo, TX, where all the freight has to change to American shippers.

Some states allow triple trailers, very dangerous to pass in wet road or two lane situations. Australia has quads, true road trains. We don't want the truckers to get carried away on our congested roads.

I guess I just made the first post to Bulley's new list!

Stuart