Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Nov 1999 21:45:36 -0000
From:         Lance Lovell <lance@ACMEPROD.DEMON.CO.UK>
Subject:      Interstates

Hi Volks!! I've been reading this thread with interest,as I am an Owner/Driver of a 17ton truck here in the U.K.I can make some comparison between your country and ours on the subject of trucking and the state of the roads,as I was fortunate enough to travel from Boston to St Luois,via Milwaukee,on vacation last year. The views expressed by the majority of the list re the damage to the roads caused by heavy vehicles seem to hold true for most countries here in Europe as well as the U.S.In the UK the haulage industry pay almost the highest road taxes in the world,[for my single truck I have to pay an annual fee of £1450 or US$2320] In addition the Government takes the highest rate of tax on Diesel,more than gasoline,a current price of 50cents a litre,approx US$2.45 a gallon.These taxes amount to over £30 billion a year,and are supposed to pay for the roads upkeep. Of course,the money is spent on welfare for the unemployed mostly.... Your Interstates,at least the ones I travelled on ,were for the most part much less heavily "trafficked"than ours,and consequently,seemed in much better condition. Our trucks max out at 98560 pounds,and because of the density of truck population,and the speed limiters fitted,cause deep "tramtracks" in one lane of the highway.When you are in a narrower vehicle than a truck,you tend to weave along the road on that lane,constantly" falling into"and "climbing out" of the tracks. While everyone bitches about the damage,and the slow trucks holding them back, most realize that the truck is on a necessary journey.After all,everything that is made has to be delivered,and as most of us want the benefits of modern society,we understand that there is a price to pay.The roads were originally built to take goods,and the use for the general public should always be secondary to the movement of freight,as trade is what made our respective countries so prosperous... Lance Vanagon/Transporter" Autohomes Kamper" Volvo FL617,"The Beast" H.D 1200C Sportster

[text/html]