Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Nov 1999 16:45:33 -0800
From:         "Thomas D. Hanlon" <hanran@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Clutch Master Cylinder Access-84 Westfalia-Thanks,
              and Repair "How To" suggestions
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@uvic.ca>, Jim & Melody <JiMelody@zianet.com>

To: Jim in New Mexico Alastair in BC Vanagon List

Cold weather seems to have helped cause the 15-year old clutch master cylinder to fail. I spent 15 nights going to, visiting in and returning from Banff (3,500 miles round trip) with interior, overnight, temps reaching 28 degrees (cold for desert people.) I returned home, limping along with a leaking cylinder which I topped off about with 3/4 of a pint on the five-day camping journey.

After draining the portion of the brake fluid reservoir serving the clutch, draining the balance of the fluid remaining in the line from the reservoir to the cylinder into a narrow stuffed olive jar (to avoid the mess promised in all of the three manuals I have), I removed the cylinder, leaving the piston shaft in place as Alistair suggested, to find an almost congealed mass of brake fluid, a sorely pitted and rusted internal shaft and pitted and rusted interior cylinder walls. I had "changed" the brake fluid within the last six months when I installed a rebuilt clutch slave cylinder. Clutch systems may require separate drainings.

I replaced the clutch master cylinder with a new one by first connecting the union, loosely, and by using a round screw driver shaft in the lower bolt hole to hold the cylinder in place as I fitted the upper, and then, the lower bolts. I rebuilt the scored cylinder, whichI 'll keep as a spare,by honing and replacing the seals with a Beck-Arnley basic kit of seals, at a cost of $15.00 at NAPA. Pelham has the kit at about $11.00.

Three HOW TOs I have on on clutch cylinder and slave repairs suggest "pressure bleeding." To avoid that expensive and tedious process, at the time I replaced the slave, I installed Speedbleeders (see the site speedbleeders.com) on four wheels, and on the clutch slave cylinder, at a cost of about $7.00 a bleeder, since I intend to keep the Westy in the family permanently.

Thanks to Jim and to Alistair.

Tom Hanlon Palm Springs, CA 84 Westfalia