Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Nov 1999 12:11:43 -0800
From:         Matthew Pollard <poll7356@UIDAHO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Transmission -- hard to get in first
Comments: To: Michael Townsend <townsend@RTP.ERICSSON.SE>

Quick shifter fix. If getting into first ain't easy- ie you have to push down and 'half' go into the reverse slot... here is what i have done twice... take two 13mm wrenches (box or open), channel locks or the sort, and a big flat blade screwdriver and shimmy yourself under the bus from the sliding door side, about 1/3 way back between the front and rear tire. Under there you should see a 5/8 or so inch bar that goes from above the gas tank to the side of the transaxle. And you should also see an adjustable fitting there too. What you need to do is loosen the collor clamp- need the two 13's for that- and turn one of the halves of the shift rod about one or two clicks- this is a job for the channel locks. You may need the flat blade screwdrive to pry the the collor open a bit. WAIT, i forgot, take some of the liquid paper that you were sniffing and mark the two pieces that come together before you move them. Turn a few clicks one way, tighten the clamp, crawl out, dust off, hop in the drivers seat, and see if you can shift. Then start the bus and see if the gears you THINK you are in are actually the gear you are in. I will often get third in the first spot and first in the reverse spot. If it is correct, hot damn! Go back under and make sure all is tight. If you are wrong, adjust a few clicks the other way and try it again. This is why the liquid paper is a bonus!

It is a bit frustrating to do, but nothing that a pabst blue ribbon can't fix! Sorry, i'm a poor student... cheers Matthew 84 weekender moscow

Matthew Pollard http://www.uidaho.edu/~poll7356 Dept. of Chemistry http://www.chem.uidaho.edu University of Idaho http://www.uidaho.edu