Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Nov 1999 18:10:12 -0500
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Electrical gremlins...
Comments: To: kenneth d lewis <kdlewis@JUNO.COM>

On our TD Jetta, I replaced the positive cable from the Battery to the starter with a 2 gauge cable (very fat). Also cleaned the negative main ground...made a BIG difference in starter speed when it was cold. G. Matthew Bulley Director Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: kenneth d lewis [SMTP:kdlewis@JUNO.COM] Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 1999 5:49 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Electrical gremlins...

Alan; I beefed up the cable between the alternator and the starter on our 85. I found an unacceptable voltage drop there when using the air conditioner. This link is the charging path to the battery. Maintenance to these connectors might have helped but I thought; if I have to take them loose to clean them, I might as well add another cable to increase the current capacity. I would take your VOM and clip the positive lead to the alternator post . then clip the negative lead to the positive battery post. Start the car and turn on all electrical consumers. The voltage you read is lost i.e. not getting to where it's needed. Less than .25 volts is OK. If more, clean connectors and retest. Do not forget to disconnect the positive battery post before performing maintenance. You could check voltage drops all along the path.

Drive Safely & Good Luck Ken Lewis<Kernersville,NC>86 VW crewcab;60 T-5 Coupe

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999 10:06:55 -0600 Alan Bosch <arbosch@RA.ROCKWELL.COM> writes: >On a cold day last week, my '88 Wolfie was a little slow to crank..... >Anyone have any idea what I'm missing? I have not put a VOM on the >alternator or battery yet...... >Alan Bosch >& Phred ('88 Wolfsburg) >Rochester, NY

___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.