Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Nov 1999 01:25:44 -0500
From:         karl <thewestyman@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: DM: Re: VW coolant
Comments: To: "T.P. Stephens" <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>

Here's a 'scientific' test for you to try: Take 3 new waterboxers, one with green ethylene, one with green propylene, and one with the $$$ 'special' dealer coolant. Drive each 100K miles, under identical conditions. At this point you will discover that the waterboxer head gasket problem is caused not by the type of coolant, but by a very poor and inferior design. They all will leak at approximately the same time. (Subarus don't leak, no matter the coolant type, and they are aluminum block / aluminum head design, albeit with a proper head gasket) It's time to call a spade a spade, the waterboxer is surely no great engineering feat in the cooling department. And their metals are not superior in any way, sorry! It's about time this myth is put to rest that the coolant is the cause of the head gasket woes in the waterboxer engine.

>The fact remains that the aluminum and iron manufactured in Germany is no more generic than their specifications. I certainly was not talking about all the cars on the road. Mostly I was refering to the most sensitive automotive cooling system I am aware of, the Wasserboxer. The fact is that to my knowledge none of the German manufactures have yet tested and approved other than that which has been stated for ANY OF THEIR MOTORS. It don't include the polypropalene, which by the way when in used condition is filthy stuff. I sure wouldn't pour it on my veggies. If people would handle the ethelene glycol waste responsibly, it would be a lot greener than dumping poly 'cause it's base component is biodegradable. The alchemicals from years of heat cycling in contact with various metals, plastics, rubber, oil, sealants, ect. are not very green at all. Used E-glycol can be burned in a small furnace without special handling, according to the EPA, the most repressive of Govt. agencies in the world, barring a few pissant tyrants.

You may experiment all you wish. I will follow instructions and enhance methode with proven techniques. If you wish to prove your practice is superior or equal to another, you must provide your data, obtained via scientific method. You want mine??? I refer you to the manufacturers.

Doktor Tim Maintenance Repair and Restoration of European Vehicles San Juan Island, WA