Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Nov 1999 14:27:22 -0800
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>
Subject:      Re: DM: Re: VW coolant

on 17/11/99 7:53 AM, T.P. Stephens at doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM wrote:

> > When the > buffers in the coolant go south, they go exponentially. You can test pH to > confirm the buffers are gone. If you get a 6.5 pH, it is proof that you > don't yet have a 4 gallon battery going on. But it can be 7.5 in another > month or 1000 miles. Once ion transfer begins, the march of aluminum atoms > to take vacations and "See the System" begins. Gee, if we had some > phosphate we could really get the tranportation system going. The steel has > free ions for the asking. The aluminum, now out free and roaming thanks to > the acid, is asking. A mutual agreement is founded to create a micro > amperage battery of the cooling system. The acids eat the aluminum, and the > steel at a much lower rate, and provides the atoms to build the crystals of > scale that act like ice at the seams, fittings and flanges, wedging their > way to freedom from the system. > > If there are phosphates available to enhance ionic transfer when the > coolant shifts to acid, you have a handy transfer infrastructure already in > place. The Neaderthals knew this from the data they obtained when first > studing the realities of their proposed mixed metals products. This is a > long standing specification for all the DM school. > Porsche/VW/Audi/MB/Opal/Volvo/Saab/Peugeot and others. Even the English > apes have followed suit as Jaguar specifies the same for their mixed metal > mechanisms. > > What the heck are you talking about? You talk about the coolant pH going from 6.5 (slightly acidic) to 7.5 (slightly basic) and then go on to talk about the coolant shifting to acid.

Buffers are necessary in the system, and by nature are ionic. A buffer system is an ionic solution!

Phosphate buffers (and the borates ands silicates in "traditional" coolant) will precipitate out, especially in hard water, and will coat heat exchange surfaces lower the heat transfer efficiency.

The long life coolants use carboxylate buffers rather than phosphates

Even Neanderthals know that the pH is a measurement (neg. log) of the hydrogen ion (proton) concentration (actually in water it would be protonated water - H(subscript3 )0(superscript plus). It is a logarithmic scale, pH 6 having 10 times more H(superscript plus) than pH 7, pH 5 - 100 times, and so on.

Coolant becomes more basic - pH going UP - as it ages. Basic (alkaline) solutions are the death for aluminum - will cause corrosion far quicker than acidic solutions.

That said, measuring the pH of your coolant is a good way of determining the quality/age of the stuff. I would test it every so often and observe the change/trend.

There is a company that makes test strips to measure the pH and also the glycol concentration (which according to the company is based on the same enzymatic assay as used in glucose test strips used by diabetics to measure glucose concentration in urine and by me to measure glucose concentration in bacterial fermentations).

The web address is :

http://acustrip.com/prd3001.htm

For a good summary of co0ling system theory and practice have a look here:

http://www.dp.doe.gov/CTG/bpwg/cooling.htm

Alistair (I use 18 mega Ohm water plus prestone longlife orange coolant)