Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Nov 1999 20:29:39 EST
From:         Mark Perkins <MCPerkins7@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: heating start-up

I worked as a VW mechanic for 10 years and hate the cold! Some of my tips for staying toasty are:

Air cooled: - Put extra non flammable insulation. non water absorbing on the main duct from the heater boxes. - Add non flammable, non water absorbing, heat proof insulator on outside of heater boxes. I used to use this muffler wrap that hardened with heat, but haven't seen it lately. - Fill all the hollow spots behind the panels with fiberglas or foam make sure it can't absorb water or it will cause rust. On the front panel under the dashboard I used styrofoam packing pellets. I could just feed them in by pulling the panel out a little. -Put 1 inch carpet foam under the front and rear mats. -When it got around 20 degrees or less I used to put a clear plastic sheet behind the front seat to keep the heat up front and block the heater vent for the rear. -Make sure the slider vents at the bottom back edge on the front doors are open -Various seat treatments I've used are. Reflector sheets such as space blanke t material, covered with sheepskin or regular seat covers. I currently use a heated seat cushion with massager which is fantastic, they have them at Sears for $40.

Waterboxers -Put closed cell pipe insulation around all visible heater hoses on the underside. -When the temperature averages less than 40 degrees I cover 3/4 of my drivers side air intake with a piece of sheet aluminum that clips over the plastic louvers. Remember to remove in warm weather or you will over heat. - Fill all the hollow spots behind the panels with fiberglas or foam make sure it can't absorb water or it will rust. --Put 1 inch carpet foam under the front and rear mats. - Reflector sheets such as space blanket material, covered with sheepskin or regular seat covers. I currently use a heated seat cushion with massager which is fantastic, they have them at Sears for $40 and worth 3 times the price, what I originally paid!