Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Nov 1999 08:01:18 -0500
From:         Woody Halsey <WoodyHalsey@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      radiator fan sending unit, coolant pipes

Dear List,

Ken Wilford was helping me with my radiator fan; but he is now engaged in

*much* more significant and joyful matters, so I turn to the list for advice.

Following Ken's suggestions on his website, I ascertained that my radiator fan works at both speeds, but that the sending unit must be faulty because the fan doesn't go on when the coolant warms up. I am now wondering whether failure of the fan to function (and this may have been a problem for a *long* time) explains why at some point in the by-now-dimly-recalled-past

the temperature gauge started hovering at 3/4 even 7/8 of the dial, instead of just past the LED as it did when relatively new.

So, my questions are: Where is the sending unit, who can sell me a new one, and how do I install? I am guessing it is the male connector that is

screwed into the lower right hand corner of the radiator, and that I will

need to drain the system to replace it. I need to drain the system (one month after putting in Autobahn coolant!) anyway, because my coolant pipes are rotted. Bringing me to the next questions ...

Has anyone replaced the steel coolant pipes with anything but dealer parts, do the plastic pipes made for later models (mine's an 83.5) fit the same,

and how hard is it to install any rig: original metal, dealer plastic, or

home made?

Thanking any and all in advance,

Woody