Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Nov 1999 10:18:51 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: high beam indicator
Comments: To: eric.henning@US.ABB.COM

At 07:24 11/18/99 , Eric Henning wrote: >Another listee wrote it was a incand. bulb. VW must have switched at some >point.

They did. Not sure when -- Bentley shows the '80-'84 US model with a green LED, Canadian model with a blue incandescent. My '84 US model has blue incandescent. I should have said "if it's blue, it's an incandescent."

>on the foil. So all you need is a standard LED with two wire leads coming off >it. LED's >conduct only one way so if it doesn't light, remove and install the leads the >other way around.

If the original was an incandescent, you'll get a surprise when you plug an LED in. Well, it won't be a surprise: the LED will burn out. To use an LED successfully you need to change the resistor in series with the bulb to roughly 500-1000 or more ohms. To get an exact figure the formula is:

R[ohms] = (Vmax[volts] - Vfwd[volts]) / Ifwd[milliamps]

Where R is the desired value of limiting resistor, Vmax is the maximum charging voltage in the system, Vfwd is the rated forward voltage of the particular LED in use (typically about 2.2 volts for green, could be as much as 5-6 volts for blue), and Ifwd is the desired operating current (which controls brightness).

Since you probably want to choose the brightness in practice, you would figure out the minimum resistor needed to avoid burning out the LED, then add resistance until the intensity comes down to what pleases you. If it's not bright enough to start with, you need a different LED.

Probably more than you want to know about LEDs and lights in general is at: http://www.misty.com/~don/index.html

david David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"