Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Nov 1999 07:40:21 -0800
From:         "Alan J. Flint" <ajflint@ITSA.UCSF.EDU>
Subject:      Re: V Boot Replacement Tips and Caveats request
Comments: To: Jeff Stewart <Fonman4277@AOL.COM>

This was not a difficult job on my '81 Pickup, though I agree it can be messy. If you are cleaning and reusing the CV joint, mark each piece (and the ball bearings) in a way that you can put it back together exactly as it was. Because you definitely do not want to do this twice, the conventional wisdom is that if there is any question of damage to the joint itself, replace it. I have heard it said that if you get to the point where the sound of the CV joint alerts you to the fact that the boot is torn, then its too late for the joint. I ended up replacing two and repacking one. So far so good. In the FWD VW realm, using OEM Lobro German joints and boots is hightly recommended. Again, lots of labor, relatively inexpensive parts, so why skimp. The kits come with new bolts, which is key. And use your torque wrench, obviously.

Good luck. Alan. '81 Pickup 4 CV joints '87 Syncro Westfalia 8 CV joints (ouch)