Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Nov 1999 15:18:07 -0500
From:         John Hurley <hurley@ACX.COM>
Subject:      Re: list
Comments: To: coddington@PACIFIC.NET

Date: 11/18/1999 03:17 pm (Thursday) From: John Hurley To: "MIME :coddington@PACIFIC.NET".TFS.ACX_HQ; "vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM".TFS.ACX_HQ Subject: Re: list

I find it odd that so many people complain about the volume and content of messages posted on this list. We are in control of what we receive and when so here is a bit of advice.

When i know i'm not going to check mail for a while and don't want it to pile up i send the command to shut the mail off (not unsubscribe) NOMAIL

So if you're not in need of any vanagon info, tips, shut the mail off, when you need to know something first search the archives, then if you had no luck, turn the mail back on and post a message.

No one ever said you had to read every message and be constantly receiving messages in order to be a list member. Most people probably skipped over the sections on the commands for the list, and those are typically the ones complaining. And another thing if you want off the list, sign off. Don't post more of the crap which is the reason you're leaving in the first place.

Sorry, but i had to vent.

>>> "coddington@PACIFIC.NET" 11/18/99 02:20PM >>> Hello Dick, It seems to me that the list cannot be ALL THINGS to ALL PEOPLE , ALL THE TIME. I'm sure that everyone who is subscribed, finds a few posings each day, not of interest to them, since the list covers ALL Vanagons, diesel and gas, Westies and just plain passenger busses. I certainly disagree with you that the list has become a sounding board for a select few!!!! Gosh, just look at the different names over a period of a few days!!! It is true however that there are some with a great deal of expertise in one or more areas, and yes they respond often and I certainly am grateful for their knowledge on a particular subject. I'm glad to see their names over and over, and respect their desire to help all. Restore the list?!!! Heck, what needs restoring? I belong to several "Lists" and each of them goes through periods of "flames" , corrections, positive AND negative responses. I certainly enjoy the "open Fridays" also, though many postings on Friday or not exactly Vanagon related. You say you "saved" 50+ messages relating to your bus. That's great, but are you saying that now you'd quit the list because you now know everything about your bus? Or are you saying you'd quit the list because others don't post messages the way you'd like to see them post? Do you realize that you're asking others to "contain themselves in the simple 1 thru 4, guidelines" that YOU have set down? Childbirth? Interstates? Bringing in import Vehicles? Would you really ban all this from the list. Are you so stogy that you resent Ken telling us of his new baby daughter? Someday you might want to import a Vanagon! And while it's true that the Interstate thread has gotten rather long and far afield, there are some interesting points made. Don't read em! Delete em!, Block em!, But don't quit the list only because you got your 50+ and you don't want to hear anything else unless it pertains to your bus! Tom, in No. Calif.