Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Nov 1999 14:08:43 -0500
From:         Michael Townsend <townsend@RTP.ERICSSON.SE>
Subject:      List Debate & volume

Hi all,

Bulley has previously mentioned the life cycle of the "List mandate debate thread" before. This latest thread is no exception -- it is following the usual pattern. The only difference, is that no one has yet to play the role of "if you don't like it, learn how to use your mailbox filters." I would like to be the one to offer that reminder, but this time with a different twist. I don't just use it to delete messages from people I don't like -- although if your complaint is about a few overbearing critical people then you can certainly add their addresses to your killfile. I also have the "delete off server" option checked for subjects I am not directly related to. I own a 90 Carat 2wd that fits my family's needs really well. I have this strange burning desire to own a Westy Diesel as well, but finances and a sensible spouse would not allow this. Therefore, I really don't need to know how fix the freshwater tank level indicator LED's. Therefore, I delete all messages where subject contains:

Westfalia, Westphalia, Westy, dometic, refrigerator, fridge, propane, stove, sink, auxillary and battery, and of course WTB and (FS because if I see it, I'll want it).

I do not own a Syncro, so out goes: syncro, synchro, viscous and coupling

Finally, I am happy with my oil, coolant, and tire choices. Hey, I think the MXT's are excellent on my van, and we don't get snow here. Therefore, out goes: oil; tire; tires; coolant (I'd love to know how many "coolant" messages are getting bagged!)

This method has drastically reduced my inbox volume and time required to keep up. Of course there is the chance that I might miss something I might have found interesting, and I am certainly not saying that these subjects are inferior. However, this is an example of how the list can be tailored to my needs with minimal effort. I was real scared of doing this at first because I really enjoyed reading every single message that I got, and I didn't have the discipline to hit the delete key to save time. Therefore, I am happy now; I don't have to use the archives; and I am a part of the community!

my $.02

Michael Townsend Durham NC