Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Nov 1999 11:02:08 -0800
From:         Scott Fraser <kn6f@DOLPHINSCI.COM>
Subject:      Re: AC Compressor
Comments: To: Ron Hill <rhill@mylink.net>
Comments: cc: type2@type2.com

Ron Hill wrote:

> But, there is one last problem. [...] I would be much better off to replace > the > old York compressor with a modern Sanding (not sure about the spelling) > compressor. This compressor supposedly consumes less power from the engine > but is more efficent. They have an adapter bracket that looks like it > might fit. The hose end connections are different but the shop offered > several options for solving this. > > I wonder if this will work and if the tin will fit back onto the engine > with this setup. > > Does anyone have experience with this type conversion. > -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ron, First off, I happen to have a York compressor sitting on the shelf with a good clutch if need be. Secondly, I would like to find out more about that bracket to fit the Sanden compressor where the York used to be.

I can't speak about the fit of the engine tin with the modification.

In researching compressors (in preparation of putting AC into my 2.0L type IV powered '60 double cab), I found that all the recommendations pointed to the use of the more efficient Sanden compressor (I think SD-508 is a typical part number). The York compressor is a two piston unit that looks just like a small two piston internal combustion engine when you open it up. The Sanden is a little different makeup with something that looks like pistons around the radius. The part number tells you a lot about the unit. SD-508, I know the 5 refers to the 5 small pistons and the 8 relates to the size/capacity of the unit.

From all reports, you will be much happier with the Sanden unit. Much more efficient (less drag on the engine) than the old York.

As far as my project goes, I guess I have the winter & spring to figure out how to mount the compressor and get the belts to it. The type IV motor is in the upright configuration and it looks like I might have to go to some sort of serpentine belt arrangement. Any info on the brackets that your mechanic has access to would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

-- --------------------------------------------------------------------- Scott Fraser mailto:kn6f@dolphinsci.com Lakewood CA Still waiting for $300 - http://www.dolphinsci.com/toddhill.html