Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Nov 1999 14:05:42 -0800
From:         Victor Valenti <mycousinvito@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Vanagon brakes and Vanamoneygon

Help 84 Vanagon brake problem The next installment

Well, It’s been awhile since I got back about my ’84 Vanagon brake problems. (pedal pushed hard goes to the bottom without stopping well) But there have been some major changes happening. Not only has work been very hectic and not allowed time to work on the van, but I now have an interesting story to tell. Let me spin it for you…. We were traveling down the 405 freeway here in LA when a loud bang came from the back of the van. While we wondered what the hell was that? another car came up along side and said we were spewing fluid so we pulled over to check and found coolant coming out from under the motor. Not wanting to work on the freeway we limped to the nearest off ramp and popped open the engine compartment. A quick examination revealed nothing major looking, no burst hoses or major pieces missing. We poured water in the fill bottle and started the motor. Soon the water was pouring out of a small hole on the right rear cylinder. Not sure at the time what it was I thought maybe a freeze plug of some sort? Well lets plug it and see if we can get to the nearest VW shop. Taking out a piece of mahogany I had aboard I whittled a wood plug , cut it to an appropriate size and tapped it in to the hole with a hammer. A little more water and we were off to the shop. Upon arrival at the VW shop I told the owner of the problem and asked if there were any freeze plugs on the waterboxer motor to which he replied “No” why don’t you show me on this motor in the back where it’s leaking from. One look at the motor and I clearly knew…the cylinder head nut and stud had blown out! The dreaded electrolysis had struck again! I had never heard of this symptom before (usually leaking heads) but the stud had disintegrated and blown out from the pressure in the cooling system. My motor had reportedly had the heads replaced before but the previous owner didn’t know when it had been. 170,000miles are currently on the speedo without a rebuild and the last time I checked the compression it was low in two cylinders. It was all stacking up to be a very expensive week. After talking prices and parts we left it to be fixed. Rebuilt engine, all labor, new clutch, rebuilt rear axle assemblies, hoses, a few broken parts and 8 cylinder studs later (and $3200) the Westy is back on the road and humming. And oh yeah, they couldn’t figure out my brake problem either! (weak brakes when pushed hard). After getting the van back I decided I’m going to fix these damn brakes before they kill me. I went to the nearest pick your part junk yard and removed from an 84 Wolfsberg the brake booster and pedal assembly and brake regulator (and a strait as an arrow rear bumper and rubber strip) for about 78 bucks!, Thanks to all who wrote in about my problem with suggestions, Michael Radtke, Ken Wilfy, John Lauterbach, Robert Keezer and others, I hope to let you all know some good news soon.

P.S. I’ve now installed the vacuum booster and brake regulator with no difference in the feel at all and pumped at least a gallon of DOT 4 fluid through the lines. One thing I have noticed that the brakes seem to work better if I increase the engine RPM (at a stop one foot on gas one on brake), it takes more pressure to bottom them out I have to believe more people have had similar experiences with this. A vacuum leak seems like a possibility still. Oh Well! Victor Valenti 84 Westy “The Baked Potato”

[text/html]