Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Nov 1999 18:46:39 -0800
From:         Steve <steve@SCHWENK-LAW.COM>
Subject:      Re: Westy fridge won't light

I commend Larry on the ritual he has developed for lighting the fridge. It is oner of the better ones i have read, although i think it could be enhanced by burning some incense before starting. An abreviated method that works for me, follow 1-3 below. Then, push in the gas button and begin sparking at the same time. If the green indicator light does not come on in about 15 seconds of sparking, take a 15 min. drive to clear out the combustion chamber or follow steps 10 & 11 below. steve who hasn't pumped the fridge pump in over 3 years of cAmping and traveling (quit cold turkey after the 1st 2 years).

Lawrence Johnson wrote: > > Here is my method for starting the "Demonic" fridge: > > First the obvious: > 1) turn on the gas valve under the van. > 2) turn the right hand fridge knob straight up. > 3) set the three way switch to gas setting. > > Now the not so obvious: > 1) remove the cap on the drain pipe (lower left at bottom). > 2) blow into the pipe by what ever means you have (compressed air, mouth on > plastic hose, whatever) The idea is to move the debris in the combustion > chamber. > 3) light the gas stove and burn until flame is blue then turn off. > 4) turn on the display lights so that you can watch the lower left light (the > fridge igniter indicator light). > 5) pump the left knob quickly about 20-30 times without clicking the igniter. > 6) hold down the gas button (second from left) and while holding down push the > left knob in far enough to click the igniter. > 7) keep on clicking the igniter for say 10 times at about 1 second intervals or > less. > 8) while clicking keep your eye on the igniter indicator light. > 9) If it starts to glow, stop clicking but start to move the left knob very > slowly in and out until the light gets good and bright. > 10) if this doesn't work, plug it into 110v overnight and repeat 1 through 9. > The air flow induced by the 110v heater seems to help. > 11) if this doesn't work, swear a lot and start over. > > broght to you by Larry Johnson deep in the Cold North where fridges are used to > keep things from freezing. > > "Penberthy, Thomas" wrote: > > > Hi Volks, > > > > I know this topic has been covered before ad nauseum, but... > > > > The fridge on my 89 Westfalia won't light. I'd like some nice lister to send > > me (or post) instructions on how to remove it and clean it. > > > > Thanks for the help, sorry for the redundancy, and here's to getting the > > fridge issue posted on the various FAQs around the VW sites! > > > > Tom > > 89 Westy (Marlin)