Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Nov 1999 21:05:33 -0000
From:         David Clark <DavidClark@HUMBERONIA.FREESERVE.CO.UK>
Subject:      Re: Reverse lights on

Re: Reverse lights onSteve The gearbox reversing light switch on my manual 1.9L is strangely on the gearbox! But seriously when I look at the engine towards the gearbox on the top LHD side you will see two wires connected to the switch which is a sort of aluminium square box. Remove the wires and unscrew the switch, I managed this by hand and did not need a wrench. I guess if it's tight you might need to get under and reach up to get access. Replacement I think is the only answer as the unit seems to be sealed, unless someone has managed it.

The switch might be different with an autobox, but I guess the switch will be the same.

David Clark 1985 VW Autosleeper VHT 1.9 2WD www.soft.net.uk/vwt2oc {see members rides} 1960 Humber Super Snipe Estate 3L www.humberonia.freeserve.co.uk 1985 Fiat Uno 1.1L automatic {wifes} ----- Original Message ----- From: Steven Shane To: David Clark Cc: Vgonman@aol.com Sent: 23 November 1999 15:25 Subject: Re: Reverse lights on

Dave wrote: (about the Reverse light problem) Same thing happened to me last year. Change the gearbox reverse light switch they get stuck after all that gear changing. Easy job you don't even have to get under the van.

Thanks guys for your help on this, sounds like a good project to do during Turkey day. (strange American holiday.. don't ask.) So, may I inquirer exactly where the reverse light switch is? Is it behind the Speedo panel or someplace accessible like that? And how does one clean it? Does it disassemble? Should I clean it with a contact cleaner or possibly some alcohol?

Your wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Thanks gentlemen.

- Steve in Columbus

[text/html]