Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Nov 1999 19:05:17 -0500
From:         Paul Borghese <PAUL98@PRODIGY.NET>
Subject:      Transmission Problems - 85 Vanagon Automatic
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

I have a 1985 Automatic Vanagon that seem to be having some transmission problems. When driving at high speed (50+ mph) the van has a tendency to slowly start to rev higher. Similar to as if it was a manual transmission and someone was lightly stepping on the clutch. When I release and reapply the gas the engine will work correct. Also if I release the gas while going downhill, when I step-on the gas the van will first act as if it was in neutral reving to the red-line - then grab on the second attempt.

I took the advice of some of the fokes on the list and changed the transmission fluid and cleaned the transmission filter. I also checked the final-drive oil and added about a 1/4 quart. But the symptoms till persist.

One final item. When I check the transmission fluid it reads 1 quart high! Even though I added exactly 3.2 quarts as specified in the manual. This has always been the case with this van - the Transmission Oil always reads high? Clue? I am checking on a flat surface engine idling in neutral.

So what do you think? Need replacing? I called one place and the transmission was $1800 dollars (ouch!). Any ideas on where to get a new transmission (new or used?)

Thanks for your help!

Paul Borghese paul98@prodigy.net