Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Nov 1999 09:57:45 MST
From:         Gord Plouffe <westy1982@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Propane Injected Diesel Westy?

I just read an article in the Dec99 "Truck Trends" mag describing the application of propane injection to diesel engines to increase power and mileage. The truck tested in the article was a ford power stroke. It saw an increase of power from 187hp to 231hp! The kit consists of a propane hose, regulated solenoid, and a wire harness. It took 90min to install not including the installation of a propane source. The propane source would be obvious for a westfalia. There is no mention of price in the article and the web site of the supplier is not responding at www.bullydog.com, ph 208-397-3200, Aberdeen, ID. The theory: By adding vapor propane (NOT liquid) to the cylinder, the combustion duration is increased. This in turn produces more power at a more efficient rate....according to the article. I remember talk that the Alberta gov't is looking at a plan to convert diesel trucks to run partially on NGL to reduce emissions. I guess the technology is out there, and now for sale.

Question....

I just installed a brand new, not rebuilt, turbo spec 1.6l engine into the westy last week. The engine is normally aspirated and lacks the power for comfortable hilly travel. Will the 1.6l benifit from this technology? I seem to think that since it is an MF motor that it would be able to take the extra stress/heat/?? assotiated with a mod such as the one described.

I know, i know, a 1.9 turbo swap would solve the problem but the avalibility/cost was an issue.

L8r,

Gord