Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Nov 1999 12:08:46 -0800
From:         Dave Bayer <daveb@CP.NET>
Subject:      Re: Wasserleaker Head Job - What am I getting myself in for

> If I see also they use polypropalene > glycol, I know they are not associated with spec fluid or don't much care > about spec. It is proof I should not trust their engineering sence. They > don't know, and they don't care that they don't know. I will validate what > I can of their work.

Hrm, polypropalene gycol, AFAIK, came out (in mass quantities) after VW had stopped importing VWs. From the research I have done, poly... gycol can transport 10% to 15% less heat than ethylene gycol, however both are far inferior in the amount of heat each can carry compared to the water in the system. This isn't going to even be a consideration unless your van is running in high temperatures at slow speeds and/or high loads when the engine is producing max waste heat and you are both circulating low volumes of coolant and you have less of a thermal gradient between outside air cooling air and the temp of the coolant in your radiator... I should also like to remind folks that VW loves to reuse parts... People like to say that's because they care about us, but I would venture is more because they like to stay with what they think works and what is cheaper for them (retooling doesn't sound cheap)...

I should like to refer one interested in the study of the coolant system to a post by Tim Smith, search for 'crevice corrosion' if you would like to answer the one question that no one seems to have a good answer to (besides Tim Smith ;)): Why do the heads pit so much quickier under the gasket than over the surface of the head exposed to the damaging coolant (if said surface pits at all)?

I should refer others on the topic of proplyene gycol to a post from the 96ish time frame with 'Green Stuff Considered - Coolants and Corrosion'. It was a good discussion/jumping in point for the discussion of coolant, coolant additives, and how each affects the different metals in your engine...

And then there is a bunch of good research in the file archives on gerry by Dan Houg (some of it from talking with technicians at BASF - the people who make 'VW' coolant: ftp://gerry.vanagon.com/pub/technical/coolant-some-info-for-watercoolers-1983-and-later.txt

And hey, while your there, poke about the file archives, there's LOTS of good tech info and procedures there (including two different write ups on how to replace the head gaskets with and good insights for the lay mechanic who might overlook doing certain things before it's too late).

dave