Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Nov 1999 18:20:24 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: CIS Puzzler (Jetta content only)
Comments: To: KENWILFY@AOL.COM

Ken, My experience with early 80s VW flywheels is they are all a POS when it comes to their timing marks. The best thing to do is to remove spark plug #1, get a flash light and shine it into the spark plug hole and find out TDC this way. Then mark it on both ends of the crank (belt pulley and flywheel). 10:1 says that the belt pulley will be correct and the flywheel incorrect. Also make sure the timing belt didn't slip.

My mums '78 Rabbit is timed to 3 BTDC and idles at 900rpm and it performs excellent. This is not the factory timing (something ATDC) - I found with the retated timing it is a total slug, the more advanced timing made it liven up quite a bit and the emmisions did not go for a nose dive.

If that does't fix the problem that I think you have rust in the fuel tank. Recently my mum's Rabbit was bogging down and just lost power especially going up hills and acceleratong on the highway. It turns out that the fuel filter was full of brown sludge and the injectors were spraying streams of fuel instead of a nice fine mist... let's hope it isn't a rusty fuel tank is it is a royal PITA to remove.

At 10:43 PM 24/11/1999 EST, KENWILFY@AOL.COM wrote: >I have a problem with my '82 CIS (fuel injected) Jetta with automatic >transmission. This Jetta is one that I bought a long time ago to fix up and >sell because it had a good body and a bad motor. > >The car has a 1.6l motor from a '80 Rabbit in it (which had points ignition >and a different emissions setup) and I basically just swapped everything from >the 82 Jetta engine onto it (including electronic ignition etc). > >When I time everything up (using a timing light and tachometer) according to >the marks on the flywheel (which I double checked) I have two problems. >1. The power is very low. The motor kinda feels like it is bogged down and >then finally starts to get some power once you get rolling. >2. When the shifter is in neutral or park it idles fine, but when I put it in >"drive" or "reverse" the motor idles down drastically (it goes from idling >around 1000 rpms to 600 rpms when you put it in gear) and acts like it is >going to die (and it sometimes does). The transmission seems to shift >smoothly between gears and is full of fluid. > >If I turn the distributor counterclockwise a bit the idle goes up and it >seems like I have more power, etc (however the timing marks don't line up at >all). >So I am wondering if anyone out there has had similar problems? Here are the >things I have replaced/checked so far. > >1. Distributor Cap >2. Rotor >3. Spark Plug Wires >4. Spark Plugs >5. Fuel Filter >6. No holes in intake boots or vacuum hoses. > > >Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated, >Ken Wilford >http://www.vanagain.com >John 3:16 >Office (856)-765-1583 >Shop (856)-327-0027 >Fax (856)-327-2242 > >

-- David Marshall - - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- -- 78 VW Rabbit, 80 VW Caddy, 84 VW Westie, 85 VW Cabriolet -- -- 87 Audi 5000 Quattro, 88 2.0L VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- -- david@volkswagen.org (pmail) or vanagon@volkswagen.org (list) --