Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Nov 1999 06:15:10 GMT
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Agilis 61 - Ply Rating

Volks -

I know people get tired of tires, but I have seen several comments on ply ratings that indicate there is a lot of confusion. I certainly don't have all my facts right, but based on having a father who sold tires and selling them myself for awhile, I know a bit about the history, and hope this might clear up some confusion.

Ply rating on a tire doesn't mean what it used to. When tires first came out, the cord adding strength to the rubber was cotton or other natural fibers. That's one reasong many old cars you see had two spare tires.

At that time, AFAIK, a four ply tire had four layers of fibre all the way around. There were no belts under the tread, and the plys of fiber were at an angle to one another, (bias-ply). As artificial fibers, like rayon, replaced natural ones tires became more durable.

When Michelin came out with radial tires, the fibers making up the plys on the body of their tires did not cross each other. All of the fibers were on a line from the center of the wheel, like you would measure the radius of the circle, hence Radial Tires.

Fold your hands in your lap. If your fingers are parallel to each other, the are aligned like the fibers in radial tires.

Belts around the outside of the tire, under the tread, are made of kevlar or steel. They increase the stability of the contact patch, and the lighter radial plys allow the sidewall to move more easily without lifting the edge of the tread off the road. That's one of the reasons why radial tires give better traction.

So - belted tires generally have one or two plys on the sidewall. The belt often has two plys, so under the tread there are three or four plys. BUT - the tire will be called a "six-ply" or "eight-ply" if it has a higher carrying capacity than a standard "four-ply" passenger tire.

What's important isn't the number of physical plys of fiber, it's the carrying capacity of the tire. Look at the load rating, and whether it's designed for light truck use or not. Todays artificial fibers are a lot stronger than the original cotton.

I suspect that "Reinforced Sidewall" tires don't have more physical plys, just different construction, but I don't know.

- Mike Finkbiner '87 Westy Moscow, Idaho