Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Nov 1999 15:43:05 -0500
From:         Bob Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET>
Subject:      Re: Question about end play
Comments: To: cgotts@JUNO.COM

Clifford P Gottschalk wrote: > > Hello List: > I am currently rebuilding my 2.1 Vanagon Water boxer, due to a rod > being thrown back in May. I finally got all the parts together and am > now rebuilding the engine. I am currently at setting the end play on the > flywheel and need to find out a couple of things, from those who have > dealt with this before. I have rebuilt a number of Bug and Air cooled > Bus engines, and the water boxer still needs three shims to set the end > play. Out of the three shims, the closest one to the thrust washer is a > bit bigger in size (not in thickness but in circumference) than the other > two behind it. Does anyone know if this bigger shim comes in different > sizes? I talked to the dealer and he shows it as one description, and > says he doesn't see two different sizes, only in different thicknesses. > Does this bigger shim have to be bigger, or can you replace it with the > same size as the other two? Most of the other bus engines used the same > size shims for all three, so perhaps someone can enlighten me on this > question. Appreciate any information. Clifford Gottschalk > '89 Vanagon 7 pass. (rebuilding engine finally) > '85 Westy auto > '67 Baja Bug > ___________________________________________________________________ > Get the Internet just the way you want it. > Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! > Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj. Clifford the large end play shim does come in 2 thicknesses .010 and .015 I have only been able to get the thicker shim from the dealer and cant find a part # for the thinner shim funny you should bring this up I had to use the three small shims on an 2.1 automatic engine I am currntly building for my own use I dont like to leave the larger shim out but had no options I hope you have read my posting about con rods for the 2.1 engine I have in stock new OEM rods sets for the 2.1 engines at a great price of $180 in the VW box let me know if I can help you with parts I have a large inventory of air cooled and water cooled VW engine parts on hand I also provide unlimited tech support to my customers assembling there own engines

Bob Donalds http://www.bostonengine.com