Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Nov 1999 18:04:43 -0800
From:         Mark Keller <kelphoto@ISLANDNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: How does the Oxy Sensor Work/ go bad?
Comments: To: kenneth d lewis <kdlewis@juno.com>

Thanks Ken!

I appreciate your information about the operation of the O2.

If you don't mind I'd like to talk about this further? My main thinking is that on some vans the "intermittent or surging power problem is related to water in the fuel supply.

But what I don't know is how the water in the fuel would affect the ECU's version of reality. Frankly I don't remember how non injected engines behaved with water in the fuel, it would seem they had fuel starvation.

I felt that the presence of lot of extra oxygen in the fuel/exhaust stream would be the result of a water in my fuel, and high humidity, raining for hours/days as here in BC. in the intake air would further introduce more humidity

It may be that the ECU is making the maximum correct adjustment to compensate for water in the fuel, there is just TOO much water to deal with, and the ECU gives up.

I felt also that there was a different path that might occur. What happens to the timing when a high 02, i.e. water in the fuel shows up?

Does the interaction of the timing correction have interplay with the O2 sensor? Or said differently, How does the ECU determine a need to adjust spark timing?

What I would like to see is some practical explanation for how the engine runs on water contaminated fuel. Then I would like to be able to say that if a van has indeed has water in the fuel, a reliable symptom would be________.

Sincerely,

Mark Keller 91 Carat