Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Nov 1999 11:21:01 -0400
From:         Paul Schiemer <schiemer@MAGICNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: Free Bentley Manual

Reason for giving me the manual (and not anyone else): IT'S MY BOOK!

My wife threw it away after another of our heated discussions about what to do with the Vanagon (which has been in 'restoration' for a few years now). Actually, she threw ALL my stuff away, and my 'project' has been more like ten years now. All those spare parts and specialized tools, the middle seat I never needed. Every archive from gerry.vanagon printed out and collated in neat folders. All of it gone now.

I was surprised by her zeal as she toted the V6 engine out to the drive too (she must have been real mad). She's just a little thing. I was going to convert it from a Westy, to a Vanagon, then back to a Westy with the new powerplant. [She accomplished her own conversion, after the third year in progress, making it into a potting shed for her geraniums].

"Every day I look out this kitchen window and see that damn van..." she said the other morning as we had breakfast. "Why did you have to park it so close to the house?" she continued. I explained that the city would come by and tag it if they saw it lounging in the back yard. It'd get towed away... That's when she tagged me with the skillet and all heck broke loose.

I'm writing to you from my laptop, hooked up to shore power, here in the potting shed. I really need my Bentley manual back, it's got some important notes and telephone numbers in there (like "Vanagon Anonymous"). Thank your son for digging it out of the trash pile for me. It's great to know I've got a neighbor so close who also likes loafs!

[oh yeah, it's saturday and I made that all up. I don't need the manual either. does this make me the best liar? or better story teller?]