Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Nov 1999 16:21:21 EST
From:         kenneth d lewis <kdlewis@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: How does the Oxy Sensor Work/ go bad?
Comments: To: kelphoto@ISLANDNET.COM

Mark;

Good theory. I will ponder a reply. Three or four years ago I built a small circuit that monitors the output of the O2 sensor. It is basically a voltmeter on a chip. It's display consists of ten LEDs and the information (output voltage) is a moving dot. So I have some first hand experience on the O2 operation. I kind of doubt that the combustion process could reduce the molecular bond of H2O. Instead I would suspect it would just turn to steam but I will ask around. I am going to make another monitor for my wife's van. If you would like one let me know. It is about the size of a match box and should run around $20.

Drive Safely & Good Luck Ken Lewis<Kernersville,NC>86 VW crewcab;60 T-5 Coupe

On Fri, 26 Nov 1999 18:04:43 -0800 Mark Keller <kelphoto@ISLANDNET.COM> writes: > Thanks Ken! > > I appreciate your information about the operation of the O2. > >If you don't mind I'd like to talk about this further? My main >thinking is >that on some vans the "intermittent or surging power problem is >related to >water in the fuel supply. > >But what I don't know is how the water in the fuel would affect the >ECU's >version of reality. Frankly I don't remember how non injected engines >behaved with water in the fuel, it would seem they had fuel >starvation. > > I felt that the presence of lot of extra oxygen in the fuel/exhaust >stream would be the result of a water in my fuel, and high humidity, >raining >for hours/days as here in BC. in the intake air would further >introduce more >humidity > > It may be that the ECU is making the maximum correct adjustment to >compensate for water in the fuel, there is just TOO much water to deal >with, >and the ECU gives up. > > I felt also that there was a different path that might occur. What >happens to the timing when a high 02, i.e. water in the fuel shows up? > >Does the interaction of the timing correction have interplay with the >O2 >sensor? Or said differently, How does the ECU determine a need to >adjust >spark timing? > >What I would like to see is some practical explanation for how the >engine >runs on water contaminated fuel. Then I would like to be able to say >that >if a van has indeed has water in the fuel, a reliable symptom would >be________. > >Sincerely, > >Mark Keller >91 Carat > >

___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.