Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Nov 1999 16:06:30 -0500
From:         walt spak <wnsopc3@3RDM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Where's the Thermostat?
Comments: To: Kate McLaughlin <KateMacMac@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>

Kate,

You will find the thermostat in the left front of the engine, under the plastic cover of the plastic housing that bolts to the front of the left head (run on sentence?). I just changed this on an 86 and my 91. In both cases, the 4 bolts that hold the cover on were corroded to the point that the 10 mm. hex had been reduced to about 9.25 mm.. In both cases, I had to remove the housing from the head in order to get the 4 bolts out. Of course, the 2 Allen head bolts that hold the housing to the head were so corroded that I had to use vice grips from below to get them out. Be prepared to drink some anti freeze while you are at it. You will need 4 O-rings to complete the job. Two of one P/N for the sender units, one that seals the housing to the head, and one for the thermostat. I would recommend that you replace both senders at this time because they are not too expensive and you don't want to have to do this job very often. You may have to remove the senders and read the part numbers from them in order to get the correct ones. I also used anti seize compound on all of the bolts when I put them back in.

I hope this doesn't sound too negative, but you should be prepared for a tougher and longer job than you would expect. Good luck.

Walt Spak Pittsburgh, Pa. wnsopc3@3rdm.net ----- Original Message ----- From: Kate McLaughlin <KateMacMac@WORLDNET.ATT.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, November 28, 1999 10:55 AM Subject: Where's the Thermostat?