Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Nov 1999 19:40:14 -0800
From:         Coby Smolens <cobys@WELL.COM>
Subject:      Re: timing tyro
Comments: To: Woody Halsey <WoodyHalsey@COMPUSERVE.COM>

Hi, Woody -

You wrote: <<BUT both the rounded mark and the triangular mark on the pulleys appear under the strobe to be well to the left of the seam on the block ... maybe 15-20 degrees. If I rotate the distributor clockwise, the marks appear to move back toward where they should be, but before they get to the line, the engine stalls.>>

Do you know the history of the engine as relates to the last time the distributor drive was installed? If the drive is off a tooth it would account for this type of behavior. If this is the first time the timing has been checked since it was put in, there's a good probability this is the problem. However, if a knowledgeable mechanic has done the timing since then, this is not so likely - the fault would likely have been corrected by now.

In the latter case (the drive is in right), if the engine stalls at proper timing setting, first thing is to try adjusting the idle speed up (the big screw on the throttle body). If that doesn't work, look for vacuum leaks. Normally the speed setting screw will be near flush with the top of the bore it lives in, not way down inside nor protruding much above. If the screw is in an extreme in or out position, someone has probably been trying to compensate for another problem.

A simple tach/dwell meter (a $15-20 Radio Shack or FLAPS item) is helpful, although a good ear will do for the rough setting.

You can also try adjusting the airflow meter richer at the adjusting screw (usually a 5mm Allen head, top rear of the AF meter), although you will want to verify the final setting with a gas analyzer at a facility so equipped. First disconnect the O2 sensor (follow the black wire from the sensor up from the exhaust system "y" piece at the left side of the engine), turn clockwise to richen, CCW to lean.

NOTE: Your van is a DIGI-JET model ('83-5), no? Someone suggested the timing will not be correct if the T2 sensor is not connected - this is NOT the case with the digi-jet system, as it IS with the Digi-fant ('86-). If you have the plug-together type idle stabilizer harness that lives on the left side of the engine compartment, then your system is the early one and the ignition system is separate from the fuel injection (the only connection being a tach signal from the negative side of the coil).

The basic timing procedure is this:

1. Warm engine to normal operating temp (temp gauge needle at normal position). 2. Shut off engine. 3. Connect timing light and tach. 4. Disconnect and plug together wiring harness ends at idle stabilizer on left side of engine compartment. 5. Adjust idle speed to 875 rpm. 6. Check alignment of "v" notch in pulley with seam of crankcase, if necessary stop engine, loosen distributor clamp enough to turn with some resistance. Restart engine and rotate distributor to align marks. Adjust idle speed as needed. Stop engine and tighten distributor clamp (PLEASE don't treat it like a lug nut - it doesn't need to be so tight that the clamp becomes distorted. Snug will do - just so the distributor doesn't turn against moderate hand torque).

Good luck - let me know if there's anything I'm leaving out!

Coby