Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Nov 1999 22:43:41 EST
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Tach/dig. clock Dash Pod retrofit Qs?

I'm in the middle (give or take) of exchanging the dash pod in my 83.5 for a later model pod with the tach and digital clock.

I've gotten lots of great info from the archives, and from listees on this seemingly simple project. Thanks.

But still 2 Questions:

1. The blue wiring harness/circuit board on the back of the newer pod has a section that is attached to the back of the speedometer. Since I am using my original speedo, which on the 83.5 has no blue circuit board on the back of the speedo (although obviously there is the blue circuit board behind the existing clock and other parts of the pod) can I disconnect the blue circuit board immediately behind the speedo on the newer pod, remove the newer speedo, replace it with my existing speedo and just gently tape the circuit board to the back?....FOLLOW UP Q> what is the function of this "extra" bit of circuit board on the later speedos? It seems to serve no purpose and electrically not connected to anything at the speedo end of the pod it serves.

2. I understand the high-beam indicator light works opposite of the way it was intended when a newer pod is retrofitted in an aircooled Vanagon (the high-beam indicator light in the pod is lit when the low beams are on, turned off when the high beams are on). Will this "backwards" high beam indicator also be the case in my 83.5 Waterboxer? If so is there a way to rectify the situation?

TIA Jeff 83.5 Westy NYC