Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Nov 1999 19:57:55 -0800
From:         "T.P. Stephens" <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: Syncro Muffler Brackets Self Destruct!

At 10:06 PM 11/22/1999 -0500, you wrote: > Started to work replacing the muffler on my '86 Syncro this weekend > and discovered that both brackets had self destructed.

> The brackets are a dealer only part to the tune of $58.00 each. > (More than the cost of a new muffler:

Not a dealer muffler.

> There seemed to be mechanical tension on the exhaust assembley > pushing against the brackets. This may have caused the problem, > I don't know. There is an adjustable fitting upstream from the > cat. When I get the new brackets and reassemble everything, I will > try to adjust things to reduce the stress.

The heat cycling will cause everything to move, as of course will the vibrations. Let's see, at 3000 rpm X 4 cylinder = 12,000 fluctuation per minute times how many hours of operation till failure???? Your van is 14 years old. Lets assume one hour operation per day average. 14 years X 365 days x 24 hours X 60 minutes X 12,000 = a very large number of fatigue creating vibrations which = incredible durability in my mind. Let's add 14 years X 365 days X 2 heat/cool cycles per day = a not immodest 10,220 expansions and contractions added to the stress. Takes some pretty spezial, high spec steel to take that kind of treatment day in and day out for 14 years before it has served it's reasonable life expectancy.

Installation takes a little thought as to which end or flange should be tightened in what sequence to not create stress from the get go. Good to see you know that you must have them on there, or be ready to replace the exhaust pipes when the flanges crack. Have you priced those puppies lately?? Believe me, the backets are cheaper, all of them together. How long do exhaust parts last on other cars??? Have you ever seen or had a Chevy or YamaKawaHonZuki that had original exhaust hardware that lasted 14 years????

>> Anyway, all you Syncro owners, check your brackets closely before >> you order your new muffler.

Syncros aren't the only Vanagons out there that have such. They ALL have them and in several configurations. They show only two different set ups in the Bentley, but I've seen at least a 'coupla other iterations in practice. Do take the old brackets to the parts counter for comparison with replacements before purchase if at all possable.

Doktor Tim Maintenance Repair and Restoration of European Vehicles San Juan Island, WA