Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Nov 1999 03:54:53 PST
From:         Eren Berberoglu <dieselwesty@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Diesel advice needed
Comments: To: chiang1@usa.net

Hi Cary, First of all , all inline 4 cyl VW engines are interchangable so there never happens a real hardware problem when installing a inline 4 VW engine to a diesel vanagon , the most important thing to ask is : is that 1.9 from a golf passat or from a late transporter (T4=eurovan) a 1.9 TD from a passenger VW car produces it peak power at around 4500-4800 rpm however 1.9 eurovan engine does that at around 3800 rpm which means a golf or passat TD engine behaves more like gas engine which makes a better road performance . Ask about the transmision is it the original diesel or another one most people in USA use aircooled vanagon trans. for those conversion thats possible this combination gives U a higher top speed at around 85 mph (with a high rpm 1.9) if the trans is diesels you will have less top speed because of the lower gearing. you can add a intercooler to a 1.9 U will need some hoses to install the intercooler between the turbo and the intake manifold , when U install that the boost pressure drops than U have to re adjust the boost from the wastegate of the turbo (I dont know exactly where to adjust it does anyone know?) and the last thing is make a richer mixture by adjusting the mixture control on the injection pump . About my conversion , I live in Turkey (somewhere between asia and europe) so smoke laws are no prblem here. my engine is a 1.6 TD with a factory intercooler from a 1990 passat it has 90hp at 4800 rpm and 170 Nm at around 2400 rpm my vanagon is a 1986 diesel 5-speed trans. power-steering ,wetfalia camper , custom features are intercooler blower fan operated by a kick-down switch , crusise control and A/C to come.

thanks for interest