Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Nov 1999 14:48:55 EST
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Speedometer question (long now)

a message dated 99-11-26 23:25:01 EST, you write:

> Stella's is loose, > meaning that it turns with the wheel. Any info or insight would be > wonderful..

Kate--

I'm a little confused by exactly what you mean in this post. So if this info is redundant or it's info you know blame it on my confusion.

To say the circlip turns with the wheel, in my mind means it's working correctly.

The circlip holds the speedo cable after the cable's squared off end pokes through the axel nut cap on the end of the hub. (this is the cap that covers the axel nut on the front wheels) The speedo cable's squared-off end goes through a square hole in the axel cap. The circlip holds the squared off end snuggly in the cap. But it's only snug in a circular kind of way, meaning the square end of the speedo cable is forced to turn along with the axel cap and therefore forced to turn with the wheel. (there is a tiny bit of end play in the cable with the circlip meaning it can move in and out a tiny bit without effecting it's performance) Having said the word "forced" I should mention it' s not a great deal of pressure "forcing" the cable. the cable merely goes along with the turning wheel. The circlip also should go along with the wheel spinning at the same rate at the wheel spins. This spinning of the square end of the cable and the circlip turns the whole speedo cable within the speedo cable housing which is again squarred off a the speedo end of the cable at the dashboard. The square end at top goes into the back of the speedo and turns the gears in the speedo to give you a speed reading on the guage.

So, in short, the circlip and cable DO turn with the wheel.

If the circlip and cable don't turn with the wheel it is a sign that the square hole int he axel cap has rounded and will not turn the cable. Therefore the axel cap should be replaced.

Possible problems:

On an old Karmann Ghia I had the Speedo stopped working-and then worked intermittantly, but never correctly--it would kind of surge. I checked the cable by taking it off the back of the speedo and it seemed to turn fine when the vehicle was moving. BUT it did turn out to be broken in the middle. With no pressure of the speedo hooked up it seemed the cable was fine because it "caught" itself at the break and turned both halves. But with the added pressure of the speedo hooked up it would not turn after the break--or at best turn intermittantly.

I mean I didn't figure this out right away.

You can check the speedo by disconnecting the cable from the back of the speedo and eyeballing the end of the cable that goes into the speedo. Find a tool or shaft or something of equal size and GENTLY put it in the back of your speedo where the cable goes. Then gently roll the tool or shaft in your fingers as the cable would turn. if the speedo needle jumps to a few miles an hour or so it's an indication it works for the most part.

now DON'T shove or force anything into the back of the speedo. Be GENTLE with it. and turn the tool by rollinging it between you thumb and fore finger. That is more than enough speed to register on the speedo. You can try this rolling motion both clock wise and counter clockwise without damage to the speedo. But only one way will register speed as the speedo is not designed to register speed in reverse. And again don't force anything in if it won't fit and don't break off anything in the speedo where it recieves the cable. If this test doesn't make sense to you don't attempt it unless you have your neighborhood car guru with you.

Also you can check the cable once it is off the back of the speedo. If you can turn the cable by hand endlessly while the bus is parked then it's a sign the cable is severed somewhere in the middle of the housing and needs to be replaced.

Still reading?

I see from a later post you were on the NJ Turnpike. If you're in NJ and need a replacement speedo unit there were as of a few months ago 2 passenger Vanagons in junk yard in Whippany, NJ or Parsippany. The name of the yard is Cobra and it's on Parsippany Road (northern NJ). There was a later model Vanagon like maybe 86or 87 and there is an 83. Both had speedos when I was there. But I think neither bus had a windshield so they have been exposed to the elements. (whether you would feel comfortable using such a speedo is your call) I don't know if the speedos worked and normal disclaimers apply. I have no affiliation with Cobra Auto Wreckers.

Having said that if you need a speedo I'm sure some listees have them. It shouldn't be hard to find a used one.

If this doesn't make sense feel free to ask...I'll try to clear it up.

Jeff 83.5 Westy NYC