Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Nov 1999 13:13:34 -0800
From:         se7en <manx1342@TELEPORT.COM>
Subject:      Re: How do I  remove lower grill on my '84?

"Root, Tim" wrote: > > Hello list, > My radiator decided to call it quits yesterday. I have it ready to come out, > but I can't figure out how to get the lower grill out so I can unplug the > connector on the right side of the radiator. The Bentley diagram looks like > there should be screws holding it in, but I don't see any exposed. It looks > to me like plastic connectors holding it in. I tugged on it, but I don't > want to break it. Anybody have some advice for me? > > Tim Root > Portage, WI > 84 Vanagon > 90 Fox Wagon > 97 Jetta

Tim,

Since I just changed the lower grill (to a SA wider grill) on my '87 maybe I can help. What I found was that across the top of the grill were 5 phillips head screws that went into 5 rectangular plastic clips. It sounds like your screws may be missing but the plastic clips will still hold the grill in place. These clips are meant to expand when the screws are installed to give a more secure 'bite'. With the screws removed you should be able to get in there under the head of the clips and pry them loose (they should pop right out). Then the grill will just come straight forward from the top. To reinstall the clips I found that by just starting the screw in the hole in the front about 1 or 2 threads gives them a handle to work with. Make sure all 4 of the 'legs' on the clips enter the hole before seating completely (pinching them together by hand worked for me), then just screw the screws all the way in. I recommend getting screws if yours are missing as this will make the grill much more secure.

Hope this helps,

arlen