Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Nov 1999 15:45:14 -0600
From:         Chris Smith <chris.smith@AQUILA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tachometer woes
Comments: To: "Penberthy, Thomas" <TPenberthy@CREATIVEPRO.COM>

At 12:31 PM 11/29/99 -0800, Penberthy, Thomas wrote: >Hi again, Volks, > >Here's my second question. I figured I'd separate them to give you a choice: >answer one, answer both, or the old favorite - Delete All. > >My tachometer is acting flaky. > >One day Marlin (89 Westy, remember) and I take off for work, all systems are >go and he's letting me know via a fully operational instrument panel. We get >to work, I leave, hours pass, I come back. I start him up, and though my >audio sensors (ears) say "All Systems Go," the tach reads that No Systems >Go. I drive out of the parking lot, attempting the mandatory "rev it up real >fast and see if that fixes it" (why do we all think that'll help?). Anyway, >when that didn't work, I tried the second mandatory fix: an open faced whack >on the top of the instrument cluster. > >And guess what? It worked! > >However, I know that there are greater forces at work here, and would like >to know what, and how to fix it.

According to the T.U.R.D. methode-de-repair you taught it a valuable lesson about messing with you.

According to sound mechanical wisdon, you have a loose or coroded connection behind the dash.

if you tear into the dash and discover that there is no problem at all, then the problem is the van was testing you to see how much it can get away with before you'd react.

Chris