Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Nov 1999 20:07:39 EST
From:         kenneth d lewis <kdlewis@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: How does the Oxy Sensor Work/ go bad?
Comments: To: firestream@mindspring.com

Horace;

The O2 sensor fine tunes the FI system to achieve stoichiometry. A rich condition produces a voltage output from the sensor, about .9 volts. A lean detection results in no voltage. This cycle repeats itself several times a second. My monitor has ten LEDs, each one represents 1/10th of the total sensor output. This type of representation is called a moving dot display. The sequential lighting of LEDs is analogous to an analog meter movement.

Some O2 monitor observations from my truck:

1> When the engine is first started the Dot "floats" in the middle of it's range. This tells me the sensor is not grounded or otherwise shorted. 2> As the engine/O2 sensor starts to warm the Dot creeps towards rich. 3> When the ECU switches to closed loop operation the Dot swings back and forth rapidly. 4> At full throttle the Dot stays pegged in the rich zone. 5>When the idle position sensor is activated the system stays rich for a few seconds then leans out for a few seconds. 6> An old O2 sensor caused the Dot to jitter and move lazily as opposed to a new sensor which gave crisp and rapid Dot movement from one end to the other.

I am going to put together a batch of these soon. I am considering adding a second similar gauge that monitors the charging system or auxiliary battery (or all three). They should be relatively inexpensive. Drive Safely & Good Luck Ken Lewis<Kernersville,NC>86 VW crewcab;60 T-5 Coupe

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999 21:22:02 -0500 "Horace K. Sawyer" <firestream@mindspring.com> writes: >Your magic box sounds cool! I might want one too, if it could be had. >But, I do not understand the information that it shows us? Why do we >need >to know this data? > >HK > > > >> I am going to make another monitor for my wife's van. If you >>would like one let me know. It is about the size of a match box and >>should run around $20. > >

___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.