Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Dec 1999 04:25:06 -0800
From:         "ThomasD. Hanlon" <hanran@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      CV Joint installation on half shaft

Listees,

My busdepot.com CV joint order arrived today, 5 working days after I placed it, rural PA to desert CA. Near-perfect execution, at the right price.

It included CKN joints, 80 gr of MOS2 grease, Lobro boots kit, w/hardware {12-point-bolts WITHOUT lock washers, crimping bands, circlips, and, to me, a "mystery" item, a dish-shaped washer, of a size to fit over the shaft). The washer was missing from the half shaft which I disassembled.

Bentley is mute on the washer. Haynes is mute on the washer.

Subsequently, I THINK I identified the washer.

Russek, "Pocket Mechanic-VW Transporter," APPEARS to identify it as a "dished" spring plate. Pg. 112, item 5.1, "Drive Shafts-Servicing," On disassembly, the reference is, "Remove the dished spring plate, noting the way which it is fitted, as it is curved to one side."

In Chilton, "Truck and Van Repair Manual, 1982-88," which one Listee chided as a "good doorstop," I find this entry, Volkswagen, pages 11-64 and 11-65, NOTES, in capital letters and in bold type, " The position of the dished washer is dependent on the type of transaxle. On automatic transaxles, it is placed between the ball hub and the circlip. On manual transaxles, it is placed between the ball hub and the shoulder on the shaft.. The chamfer on the splined inside diameter of the ball hub faces the shoulder on the axleshaft."

QUESTION: On my 84 manual transmission Westfalia, how is that washer positioned? Observing the half shaft from the view, Circlip, CV joint, Boot, Crimping Band, where does that washer sit, and in what direction does the " inner bowl" of the washer face?

I'll post all replies not marked, "Personal."

Regards,

Tom Hanlon Palm Springs, CA 84 Westfalia