Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Dec 1999 09:36:39 -0500
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Weekender versus DeLuxe Westfalia
Comments: To: "Alan J. Flint" <ajflint@itsa.ucsf.edu>

We use a small Propane heater in the van, and leave the cabinet door next to the tank open.

Since the temp in the van is usually 60-65, the tank never gets down to freezing (hasn't yet). Of course, we haven't done more than 2 days straight in the winter.

It also helps to start with the tank full of 'warm' water, that is, if you can fill it from home with cold water (yes, I know, that means tanking it) and let the van sit in a warm garage for a day. If the water is 40 degrees when you fill the tank, it is far more likely to freeze than if it is 70 degrees. I wouldn't drink the cr*p that comes out of most water heaters, but if yous tastes okay, you could start off with water at 100 (F) and it wouldn't freeze for a few days if you kept the van relatively warm. Our water in the summer comes out of the tank near 100. Ugh.

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Corporate Communications Counselors www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree