Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Dec 1999 09:46:34 -0500
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Heat in Aircooled van,
              one last time: Putting a water cooled engine in an 82?!?
Comments: To: "KENWILFY@AOL.COM" <KENWILFY@AOL.COM>
Comments: cc: bus <type2@type2.com>

Ken-

I love you man, you know it. But anyone who whines about "there's not enough heat in air cooled vans" hasn't taken a few simple/inexpensive steps to make their heat work. I took a few hours on my Vanagon, and would now compete my air cooled heater against any water-cooled heater for speed in heating, and overall ability to scorch. My Jetta doesn't heat as fast and hot as my Van, and my Jetta heats pretty fast.

E.G. It is 19 degrees in NC this morning, and I just got back from a drive to the post office. Our 1982 Westfalia was stone cold, not used since yesterday at 4:00.p.m., and it sat outside. Within the first mile, the van was getting warm. By the time I got to the post office, 4.7 miles from my home I had to turn the heat down.

The solution boils down to this. Make sure all of your heater parts are in place, and functioning correctly. Then (MOST IMPORTANT) spend $15 for a 25' box of Hart & Cooley 4" inside diameter R-4.3 or R-6 insulated ducting, and cover ALL of your heater ducting, from the flapper valves forward. Start with the heater noise dampers, all the way to the front of the van.

This alone will give you more heat than you can imagine. You can add additional fans, or recirculation, but I haven't seen the need in our 1982.

There's a gob of info in an update to my site at http://www.bulley-hewlett.com/VWindex/heatdum.html . If you haven't been to the site before, you might want to start at http://www.bulley-hewlett.com/VWindex to get the full picture. The site is safe for kids, the info is free, and the inferno billowing off your exhaust system is FAR hotter than any weenie coolant wandering around in a rubber pipe.

No more whining about "cold in my air-cooled"...

Cheers.

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Corporate Communications Counselors www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree