Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Dec 1999 09:41:43 -0500
From:         "David M." <dmc@CYBURBAN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Free Bentley Manual

How many more messages are we going to have to wade through about this? For God's sake just give it to someone, I'm sick of hearing about it.

-------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 01:12:52 -0500 From: Kate McLaughlin <KateMacMac@WORLDNET.ATT.NET> Subject: Re: Free Bentley Manual - Chapter 3 Kate

Mark Hooper

"Michael A. Radtke" wrote: > > Kate, > > The other folks got this note about 4 hours ago. Your mail provider was > down. Sorry, but you have only 44 hours to reply. > > Thanks, > Mike > > ---------------------------------------------------------------- > Hello friends, > > Well, only five of you requested the manual this time. Eight did last time > when I wasn't taking requests. Only one of you is from that first group. > What that says, I'm not sure. > > So, I warned you that I wasn't going to be the judge. While I have a > favorite person and will act as tie breaker if I must, I'm going to let you > vote on who gets the manual. > > Before I get into that, let me remind you that this is a tattered and torn > manual. It is not particularly dirty, but some pages are quite crumpled. > To the best of my knowledge it is all there though. It will have to be > put into a 3 ring binder. It covers years 1980-1991. > > Here are the voting rules: > > 1) Below is a list of names with a very brief summary of what you said. > Further down, I have concatenated each of your original responses. > Please take the time to read through everybody's message. > > 2) Then, just reply to me with the list re-ordered with your name at the > top, the second most deserving person in your opinion second, etc.. > > 3) If I don't hear from all of you within 48 hours, the missing person(s) > will be removed from the candidate list. > > 4) After 48 hours, or when I have heard from all five of you, I will tally > the results, break a tie if necessary, and offer the manual to the > winner. You will all be copied on that offer and the winner has the > right of refusal. > > 5) If the winner accepts with 48 hours, it's over. I'll let you and the > list know and then send the book. If I don't hear from the winner, or > the winner refuses, I'll offer the book to the next in line. > > By copy of this note, you will all have each other's email addresses. I > have no problem with you discussing this amongst yourselves. > > So, here is the data. > > Good luck, > Mike > > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++ The Candidates +++++++++++++++++++++++++++ > > Bill Johnson: Make selected page copies available to others. > Cesar Baptista: Self taught mechanic would put book to good use. > Kate McLaughlin: Tough to be a woman mechanic. > Malcolm Stebbins: Tour the world with the book. > Mark Hooper: No mechanics in his area and would help others. > > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Full reply text ++++++++++++++++++++++++++ > > From: Bill Johnson[SMTP:bjohns@dtx.net] > Sent: Monday, November 29, 1999 10:51 AM > To: Michael A. Radtke > Subject: Free Bentley Manual - Chapter 2 > > I would like to have the Bentley Manual for reference on my Westy's. I > would place the manual in a binder and make it available to others on the > list. I would also be willing to scan in selected pages and privately send > them to others. The binder format would make this viable. Thanks > > Bill > ........................................................................ > > From: Cesar Baptista[SMTP:cesarali@earthlink.net] > Sent: Monday, November 29, 1999 11:41 AM > To: Michael A. Radtke > Subject: Re: Free Bentley Manual - Chapter 2 > > Dear Mike, > I would like to be considered for the Bentley manual. Especially if it > contains a section on the diesel-powered vans. > I have owned a 78 diesel Rabbit and now have an 86 diesel Golf. My > newest purchase has been an 82 diesel Westfalia with a cracked head. It is > a > project that I hope will be roadworthy by springtime. I have a spare engine > that I was saving for when my Golf gives up its ghost, but it will likely > go > into the camper. > I am a self-taught mechanic from whole weeks lost gleefully getting my > hands dirty and knuckles bloody. My Haynes and Chilton manuals are so dirty > and smell of diesel so strongly that my wife won't let them in the house. > If you give me the Bentley manual, I will get a lot of use out of it. > > Sincerely yours, > > Cesar Baptista > cesarali@earthlink.net > 86 diesel Golf > 82 diesel Westy > 83 Honda Magna 750 > 51 Chevy 1/2-ton Truck > ..................................................................... > > From: Kate McLaughlin[SMTP:KateMacMac@worldnet.att.net] > Reply To: KateMacMac@worldnet.att.net > Sent: Monday, November 29, 1999 1:57 PM > To: Michael A. Radtke > Subject: Re: Free Bentley Manual - Chapter 2 > > Dearest Mike, > I have already sent you a poetic verse as to why I would love to give > the Bentley Manual a happy home. Stella, my 86' Vanagon and I have been > through a lot together. I purchased her in Turkey when I was stationed > there as a medic in the Air Force. Now she is in New Jersey, at least > until after Christmas when we move to Cleveland, OH, where I will be > finishing up my degree for Biology and Education. > I won't give you a sob story about how hard it is to be a woman and > what it is like dealing with mechanics. Trust me it's interesting, > especially when you tell the mechanics about the blue antifreeze, and > they say, "No honey, antifreeze is green, and windshield washer fluid is > blue." I can admit I don't really know too much about the mechanics of > the Volkswagen, but I really want to learn more. I purchased the Haynes > manual, which the list suggested I buy, but I have not yet purchased the > Bentley. After working on the thermostat this weekend and trying to fix > the speedometer I really feel the Bentley Manual would help me a lot > more than the Haynes. Right now with an upcoming move and tuition due, > not to mention the holidays, I really had to put purchasing the Bentley > on the back burner. It was very kind of you to offer the manual to > someone who needs it. I would say that I do need it, and Stella would > probably agree. > If now one thanked you for offering the manual to the person who > needed most, I say thank you and I hope whoever gains the book uses it > well. > > Peace, Love, and Granola > > Kate > ..................................................................... > From: Malcolm Stebbins[SMTP:Malcolm.Stebbins@MSVU.Ca] > Reply To: Malcolm.Stebbins@MSVU.Ca > Sent: Monday, November 29, 1999 12:01 PM > To: Michael A. Radtke > Subject: Bentley Manual - Chapter 2 > > OK Michael, I'll ask for your Bentley manual. I am a long time Vanagon > owner, I started with a 1981 - bought new from the dealer, and I took that > van > to Saudi Arabia with me for a 3 year teaching stint. > > My next van, I purchases in Morocco, it was an 87 French Diesel Syncro > Westy with locking front and rear differentials. We traveled all through > Morocco plus a 6 week tour of Western Europe during our 2 years there. I > wanted to bring that van back to Canada, but the import rules would not > allow > it. > > My current van is a 1991 Syncro Westy housed here in Halifax, Nova Scotia. > > Now I have a 2 year contract for teaching in Cairo, Egypt starting in Sept > 2000. I am in the process of trying to find a European Syncro Westy to buy > > and drive/use in Cairo and to use for a planned trip through Jordan, Syria, > > Israel, Turkey, Greece, Italy and back to Cairo in the summer of 2001. > > I am having some success in finding a very good van, but I may have to sell > > my van to get the money to purchase a 'new' European van. > > So, if I were to be chosen as the recipient of your Bentley manual, it will > > travel to the Pyramids and many other interesting archaeological sites like > > Petra in Jordan, the Parthenon in Athens, and the Coliseum in Rome. > > Why do I need/want your Bentley: somewhere, sometime, the trusty > vanagon will get "heat exhaustion" and require "hospitalization" and maybe > even major "surgery". I do hope that I will have your Bentley manual in > that > small village so that when I find that the mechanic and I do not speak the > same language, and s/he has never seen a vanagon before, I will be able to > > pull out your Bentley and s/he and I can scour the Bentley pictures in an > effort to get the van up and running again. > > You will truly set your Bentley on, what Winnie the Poo would call an > "Adventure". > > Also, you have my explicit permission to use the email as you see fit, > without restrictions. > > Malcolm Stebbins, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada > ........................................................................ > > From: Hooper, Mark[SMTP:HOOPERM@ci.charleston.sc.us] > Sent: Monday, November 29, 1999 11:16 AM > To: 'Michael A. Radtke' > Subject: RE: Free Bentley Manual - Chapter 2 > > <<File: ATT00017.htm>> > Mike, > I would very much appreciate the manual for a couple of reasons: > - I just bought a 87 Westfalia that needs more work than I thought it > would need this soon. I spent more than I felt comfortable with, but I > always have wanted one to camp in. > - There is no one in my area that wants to fool with a water-cooled > engine, so I'm stuck doing the work myself. The listees have been most > helpful thus far. But without a Bentley manual, I'm not sure how much > further I'll be able to go with it. With you kind gift, I'll see this > project through and I can then make the manual available to someone else in > the same situation. > > Thank you for the consideration > Mark Hooper > 104 Corn Planters Street > Daniel Island, SC 29492