Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Dec 1999 09:51:08 -0800
From:         "Buettner, Peter" <PGB@DOLBY.COM>
Subject:      Re: no idle
Comments: To: Steve Elfelt <steveelf@SPRYNET.COM>

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the self-bleeding system was introduced with the '86 model changes. The 83-85 don't have this system and need to be burped every time something is done at their cooling system. I do it anyway on my 90, just to be sure. It's no big deal after you've done it a couple of times. You just need two people for the job. Luckily I live on a steep hill, so it's really easy for me....

Cheers, Peter 90 Syncro Westy SF, CA

-----Original Message----- From: Steve Elfelt [mailto:steveelf@SPRYNET.COM] Sent: Thursday, December 02, 1999 8:38 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: no idle

If the following quote is accurate, why the big fuss over bleeding the cooling system and danger to cylinder heads if you do not?

Thanks for replies Steve E

quoting now from an earlier message:

John Doe, this is not a big deal when you lose only a small amount of coolant. First, you need to top up the coolant reservoir (LHS) - not to be confused with the expansion tan (CENTER behind license plate). You disconnect the hose from the cap, remove the cap, fill with antifreeze mixture to the very top, replace the cap, refasten the hose to the cap. Next you need to fill the expansion tank up to the MAX level. Now when you drive, the coolant light should be OFF. If it comes ON again, let the engine cool down overnight and repeat the entire process in the morning In any case, keep an eye on the expansion tank level and keep topping up to the MAX level. Eventually, the system will purge itself of any air.

[text/html]