Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Dec 1999 19:32:23 EST
From:         KENWILFY@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: Surging, slowing, and Chain Smoking
Comments: To: David.Johnson@gems6.gov.bc.ca

David, that is basically why this List is here. You CAN'T trust most dealers to do the job right or to give you a good shake. Why? They just don't work on enough Vanagons for them to know their quirks. Most of the time they just want you to leave them alone so they will basically use two strategies: 1. Charge you an arm and a leg for their work and parts so that you either give up on the van or never come back. 2. Give you a really wrong and goofed up answer to your question because they don't know the answer and just want you gone.

I don't blame you for listening to them because I think I would have done the same if I hadn't have had so many bad experiences with the dealers "Anti-Vanagon" attitude. The worst is calling up to order Vanagon parts from a local dealer and hearing the parts department people laughing in the background.

That's why I came to this List and saw the need for a mechanic who specializes in Vanagons in my area (we have none here in southern Jersey), and also a parts dealer who installs the parts he sells, so he knows they work and fit properly and can help others install the parts they buy. That's the story behind Van-Again.

As a side note: I am a one man show here as far as parts ordering goes. That means when you call to order parts you will be talking to me. If you have any questions about getting your van to run right, etc you can ask and most of the time I can point you in the direction of an answer. I also might refuse to sell you a part that you don't really need (like I did recently with a customer that thought he needed an ECU when I knew he didn't). I don't make money off of the deal, but the "Thanks for not selling me that part" call the next day was worth it to me. I am not in business to get rich, basically just to make money to feed the family doing something that I love, and to help others to keep their vans on the road, and not go broke doing it.

Just wanted to share, Ken Wilford http://www.vanagain.com John 3:16 Office (856)-765-1583 Shop (856)-327-0027 Fax (856)-327-2242