Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Dec 1999 19:58:35 -0600
From:         Marshall Ruskin <mruskin@PANGEA.CA>
Subject:      Re: Surging, slowing, and Chain Smoking
Comments: To: "Johnson, David R FOR:EX" <David.Johnson@GEMS6.GOV.BC.CA>

David:

The dealers are truly known for incompetence. There is no shortage of annecdotes here on just how bad they sometimes are.

There are close to 800 Westy owners on this list - the list has a collective knowledge and experience far greater than any single person.

Here, you will get a series of responses, all geared to helping you with your problems, and at no charge - just your goodwill.

If a listee gives you incorrect advice, others will correct her.

That's why we are here - that and it is our own community of sometimes like-minded people - often a mixed bag, I might add - but a fun one anyways to be a part of.

Cheers!

Marshall Ruskin

When the vehicle was at VW, the authorised mechanic instructed me that the 02 was not working but that this was "no big deal", it resulted in less than optimum gas mileage, but drivabilty wouldn't be compromised I was told, don't worry about it. If I can't trust an authorised dealer, then who, you? If this is one of the "most important sensors" why would I get a response like I did from vw?? > -----Original Message----- > From: gmbulley@bulley-hewlett.com [mailto:gmbulley@bulley-hewlett.com] > Sent: Thursday, December 02, 1999 2:46 PM > To: Johnson, David R FOR:EX; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Surging, slowing, and Chain Smoking > > David- > > Sorry, but your complaint about drivability problems struck a > nerve...reminds me of the chain smoker who goes to the doctor and > complains about trouble with coughing all the time. > > You say in your post that you know that your O2 sensor is bad, and I > conclude that is has been for sometime, as you say "This started well > after the o2 was known bad." Well, buddy, what do you expect? You KNOW > one of the most important sensors in your fuel management system doesn't > work, and hasn't for a long time, and yet you want your van to work > correctly? Why do you expect this? > > NEWSFLASH: ...for those of you just tuning in, VW is a mega-cheapskate > company. VW didn't put any "extra" parts on your van that are unnecessary > for good operation. Everything on your van needs to be in good working > order for your van to work correctly. > > David, fix the things that you know to be a problem, and see how your van > runs. If it doesn't work correctly once you've fixed the things that you > know are wrong, then drop me a line, and I'll be happy to rub my chin, and > scratch my head with you. I don't mean to flame on you, friend, but like > the good doctor would tell that smoker, Stop Smoking, then let's see where > we are. > > Cheers, > > G. Matthew Bulley > Bulley-Hewlett > Corporate Communications Counselors > www.bulley-hewlett.com <http://www.bulley-hewlett.com/> > Cary, NC USA > 888.468.4880 tollfree > > -------------------------------------------------------------------------- > -------------------- > Get Your FREE Semi-Private E-Mail Account, Use Your Computer At Work. I > Do. > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Johnson, David R FOR:EX [SMTP:David.Johnson@GEMS6.GOV.BC.CA] > Sent: Thursday, December 02, 1999 5:11 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Help > > I can't help you, but I can relate, as I too am experiencing what you have > described in my 84 westy (110 000 miles). My gas mileage is very poor. I > commute 80km one way to work, the round trip is using approx. 25 dollars > in > high octane gas, in the not to distant past this trip cost $10-15 . There > is > a noticeable surging, with the peddle to the metal(as they say) I can feel > the van loosing speed on any incline, more than normal, but occasionally > it > surges forward as if someone pulled up an anchor. I have leaking head > gaskets on both sides and I suspect the AFM is not functioning perfectly, > as > I have intermittent bucking, hesitation, also I know the 02 sensor is > faulty. Any suggestions, other than the obvious engine conversion. This > started well after the o2 was known bad. > > -----Original Message----- > From: Charles A. Strott [mailto:chastro@BOX-C.NIH.GOV] > Sent: Thursday, December 02, 1999 12:29 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Help > > > I have a 1985 Vanagon camper with 130,000 miles and no previous > serious problems with the power train. Recently, the van has been > experiencing periods where it loses power but does not stall. When > attempting to accelerate, it feels as if the gas is being choked off, > yet if put in neutral the motor can be easily reved up. When > reengaged, however, there is no power and the car will not accelerate > (the van does not stall). If on level or going down hill, the car > will move slowly, but if going up a grade, there is little movement. > Appears to always occur from a cold start. Can occur when the gas > tank is near empty or full (usually use Exxon regular; however, > currently using Exxon high test, which has not helped). What is > frustrating is that the problem is intermittent. The car will run > >perfectly for a few days and then the problem recurs. Since the car > is presently used mostly for traveling to and from work (~5 miles), I > don't know if the problem will arise after extended driving. > Naturally, when I take the car to a garage for a diagnosis, the > problem wont occur for them. Also, during this period the gas mileage > has noticeably worsened. Would appreciate any help on this. Thanks. > > Charlie > Charles A. Strott, M.D. > Section on Steroid Regulation > Bldg 49, Rm 6A36 > National Institutes of Health > Bethesda, MD 20892-4510 > > Tele: 301-496-3025 > Fax: 301-496-7435 > e-mail:chastro@box-c.nih.gov