Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Dec 1999 23:03:03 -0500
From:         John Benditt <JBenditt@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      proposed amphibious 87 Syncro pass. Vanagon for sale!

This syncro has a good engine 2100 cc good power, no water leak, no oil burning. PS, PW, PL, AC, nice interior, no rust, well it does have a 104,000 miles on the odometer. 5 speed manual transmission, recent clutch job, Blue interior and exterior, no rust, I think it is worth $5000 at least! But willing to negotiate! I bought the vanagon to turn it into an amphibious catamaran vanagon. With pontoons that lift the vehicle out of the water and store on the roof. But that is a one off project. It is a waste of time to build a one off when I can make any sports utility vehicle amphibious. So it is mandatory to design and build the first prototype using a typical SUV vehicle, not a Vanagon.

That Vanagon would have made a nice amphibious catamaran. With the engine in the rear, driving a standard boat prop. The pontoons lifting the vehicle out of the water wheels and all. After converting it to a Westy without the top, it would have been nice! One can open the doors while on the water and walk around the vehicle on the pontoons and gang plank between the pontoons in front and behind the Vanagon. Could even use it for a mini house boat and do fishing off the pontoons. My goal was to water ski behind the Vanagon but needed to boost the horsepower up to 200 HP some how! When taking the Vanagon out of the water one would lower the vehicle into the water so the wheels grab and drive it up onto land, then press a button and the pontoons store on the roof, and then away I go to another land based camping sight in the wilderness!

I'll probably do the project on a '93 4x4 Chevy Blazer with a 4.3 L engine producing about 200 HP.

Sincerely

John