Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Dec 1999 21:48:22 -0800
From:         Wilson Sweitzer <wilson.sweitzer@USA.NET>
Subject:      idle problems

My engine is idling rough and i'm having some trouble with stalling. The symptoms are: - in park or nuetral and idling, the RPMs surge and fall every couple of seconds between about 1000 and 1200. - in gear and idling, the RPMs surge and fall the same way but between 800 and 1000. it also shudders a bit during every fall. - when the engine is cold, it frequently stalls when idling. as it warms up, the stalling problem goes away, but otherwise the surging problems remain.

i stopped by a local shop to have them take a quick look. they suggested that the mixture might be too rich, but they couldn't check it out for me at the time. i've been skimming the recent thread about O2 sensors and i was wondering if this problem could be related to a faulty sensor. I've had to replace my O2 sensor twice in the last year (at least the 2nd time it was free). did i get another dud?

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Wilson

85 GL Irvine, California