Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Dec 1999 08:03:36 -0600
From:         Marshall Ruskin <mruskin@PANGEA.CA>
Subject:      Re: Help
Comments: To: John Chen <chen@eznet.net>

This happens because the AFM is, according to the Bosch literature I read, the master sensor for the fuel injection.

The AFM tells the computer (ECU) how much air is being "breathed" and this information is used to roughly tell the ecu how much fuel to meter into the fuel injectors.

This is further fine-tuned by the O2 sensor, to more precisely adjust the amount of fuel injected.

Now, when dirt or a defect in the afm exists at a particular setting of the AFM, the signal from the AFM will "jump around", which should not occur in a properly functioning unit.

The ecu sees this "jumping around", and thinks that something is dramatically wrong with the system - and begins to shut down the fuel, as it thinks the system is flawed.

When that happens, the afm voltage will drop, because less air is being forced through it. When that happens, the wiper or vane inside the afm moves to a new position - usually past the area where there is a defect (dirt or discontinuity).

At this new position - the afm does not present a noisy signal, so the ecu thinks the system is back to normal again, and begins to properly supply fuel - and you suddenly get power again.

You have just experienced a single "buck"!

Now, why these fixes work are for the following reasons:

1. Replacement - Obvious 2. Harness: An electronic filter that screens the AFM output signal from quick changes - (like what a noisy signal has); 3. Capacitor: same thing - except homebrewed and much cheaper 4. Cleaning AFM: Removes cause of noisy signal in the first place, hence, no need for a filter. I suspect, although I have no proof, that this will extend the life of an afm, by removing abrasive elements.

Hope this helps,

Marshall Ruskin