Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Dec 1999 09:36:02 -0500
From:         John Hurley <hurley@ACX.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bull Bars
Comments: To: KENWILFY@AOL.COM

Date: 12/03/1999 09:35 am -0500 (Friday) From: John Hurley To: "MIME :KENWILFY@AOL.COM".TFS.ACX_HQ; "vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM".TFS.ACX_HQ Subject: Re: Bull Bars

you should sell the plans for the bumper. Let everyone have them built locally. >>> "KENWILFY@AOL.COM" 12/03/99 08:55AM >>> Adrian, here is the scoop. There are actually a few sources for these bumpers in Europe, Projektwzo, and Winkler to name two. The list price on the Projektwzo front bumper is $1250. The Winkler bumper is around $800-900. This is for the front bumper only. I recently purchased a Projektwzo bumper for a customer because it was already imported here in the US and the customer wanted it. My cost on this bumper was over $1000 and I let the customer have it at cost because I wanted to see what one was like. When I went to ship the bumper from my place here in NJ to him in Washington state I got another shocker, the shipping was around $300! Because they are so big and bulky they are expensive to ship. I just spoke with a friend of mine in California and we are thinking of making "similar" style bumpers. However they are not going to be much cheaper than the $800 because the materials involved, and the bending tools involved are expensive. And they will have similar size/weight so shipping will be pricey. There just doesn't seem to be a cheap way to do this project. These bumpers are not for everyone. If you need one, then you need one, but I don't see any way of getting the bumpers price down to where Joe Vanagon owner can afford one.

If you want to go directly to Projectkwzo or Winkler to try and buy these, I say go for it. However you will wind up spending more money because instead of shipping over a whole container full of stuff and these bumpers you will be just shipping over a bumper (shipping cost goes up). Also Pzwo and Winkler aren't the most customer friendly people to deal with (an understatement). Their moto is, "We have it, so if you want it you will have to buy it from us. If you don't want it that is OK with us. It is a pain to ship to the US anyway."

Any ideas would be appreciated. Ken Wilford http://www.vanagain.com John 3:16 Office (856)-765-1583 Shop (856)-327-0027 Fax (856)-327-2242