Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Dec 1999 09:52:14 -0500
From:         Lawrence Johnson <larry_avery.johnson@SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      Re: coolant leak

Bob Berkemer wrote:

> I know I've seen this over the years but a search of the archives didn't > find it. (maybe a bad search on my part) I have a small leak in my 84 on > the passenger side in front of the engine at the T fitting that sends > coolant from the engine up to the rear heater and forward to the front > heater. There is a slight drip at this point. The manual mentions that > 83-85's have a metal T fixture and should be replaced with a slightly > larger white plastic T for a better fit. > > Anybody done this?

Yes, I have done this on our 1986 Syncro Westfalia. I assume that the plumbing pretty much the same on your '84.

It turned out that I also had a slow leak from the hose to the rear heater. This leak was caused by the DPO who had obviously used vise grips on the hose and caused a row of pin hole leaks where the jaws gripped. So my advise is to pinch off the 3 hoses to the "T" with something that will not cause damage to the hose. I used pieces of wood and "C" clamps. Now you can take your time and the amount of coolant lost (and air entrapped) is small. I used a hot air gun to soften the hose ends to aid in inserting the "T" and to get a good seal when tightening the hose clamps.

> How complicated?

Not, just awkward.

> Anybody but the dealer got the part?

This is a VW specific part whether dealer or after market. -Larry